Monday, 4 October 2010


Cleaning products that contain certain chemicals may pose a health threat to us, and to those around us, because of the hazardous nature of their ingredients.
At least some of the chemicals contained in many popular household cleaners are poisonous, corrosive and flammable. Exposure to such chemicals can cause a huge range of reactions, such as headaches, lung irritation, irritability, fatigue, and even cause damage to the nervous system, the mucous membranes, the kidneys, liver, skin and eyes. The fumes from cleaning products can also trigger asthma attacks and other respiratory problems.

For some people, the effects of exposure are immediate. For others, it may be years before the effects are felt. Long or repeated exposure can have a cumulative effect. One challenge for researchers today is to increase our understanding of the possible health impacts of being exposed to mixtures of indoor air pollutants, at low levels, for long periods of time.

Children are far more vulnerable to pollutants of all types than adults. Their systems are still developing, and it takes far less of any product to affect a small child than a fully grown person. Children will also poke and scratch at areas where residues hide — and then put their fingers in their mouths.

Also, do not overlook the health of your pets. Their health may also be compromised if they are exposed to the toxins present in many chemicals.


Post a Comment