Making your own carpet cleaner is beneficial to the environment, your health and your budget. The method suggested in this article is an easy and cheap solution to clean up spots and spills on your carpet. It can also be used in steam cleaning machines to deep clean the carpet. Follow the instructions bellow, and get your carpet as clean as new.
- Get a container with capacity of 4 litre, and fill it to its half with warm water.
- Add ½ cup of liquid castile soap to the water, and stir well with a tall spoon. You can use any liquid soap instead of the castile soap as long as it doesn't have added scents.
- Pour 1 cup of ammonia and ½ cup of liquid fabric softener into the mixture, and stir again. You can add 10 drops of your favourite essential oil for a scented carpet cleaning solution.
- Add warm water until the solution reaches almost the top of the container. Do not overfill, but leave around 5 cm from the top so you can stir the mixture without spilling it out.
- Dip a stiff brush into the solution and scrub any spots and spills you may have on your carpet. Use a clean, dry cloth to wipe the cleaning solution away, then vacuum the carpet thoroughly once it dries.
- For major carpet cleaning, pour the mixture into the reservoir of your steam cleaner and follow the manufacturer's instructions to get your carpet clean.