Mesh running shoes have great design, and are extremely comfortable to train in. While the mesh allows them to breathe, it also attracts dust and dirt. However, if you are persistent enough, and clean them regularly, you will be able to prolong the lifespan of your favourite running shoes.
According to Cleaning West End, it is safe to wash them in the washing machine, as long as you follow some easy steps:
1. Read the instruction on the shoes: Before rushing in, and tossing the shoes in the washing machine, you need to read the label. If the manufacturers have stated that they are not to be whitewashed, you ought to do it the old-fashioned way – by hand-washing them.
2. Prepare the shoes: If you have been running on a muddy terrain, you need to wash all the mud away, before putting the running shoes in the washing machine. Afterwards, the laces have to be removed. They can be hand-washed easily, so don't worry about them.
3. Set the washing machine: Mesh running shoes need to be washed alone, or along with other pairs of shoes in a washing machine that has been set for a small load. Use the cold-water cycle.
4. Enhance the laundry detergent: For best results, you should enhance the laundry detergent by adding half a teacup vinegar, and ¼ teacup of baking soda. While the baking soda deodorises, and whitens the running shoes, the vinegar will disinfect them – believe cleaners Westminster.
5. Let the shoes dry completely, before you put them on.
To protect the mesh from gathering dust, dirt and residue, or at least slow down the process, you can regularly spray the mesh running shoes with silicone spray.