Carpets can easily be stained by everyday activities such as walking, eating, drinking and pet accidents. Once occurred, carpet stains should be treated as soon as possible, otherwise, they will be much harder to remove. Many commercial carpet cleaners do a great job on stains, but they usually contain chemicals that can be harmful for your health. A much safer way to remove stains is by utilizing natural ingredients. Vinegar and peroxide can be successfully used as cleaning products to clean your carpets in an environmentally friendly manner.
Carpet cleaning Holborn suggests several easy steps when removing carpet stains:
- Get the following items: paper towels, spray bottle, water, white vinegar, baking soda, plastic bowl, 3 percent hydrogen peroxide, liquid dish-washing detergent and rubber gloves.
- Absorb as much liquid as you can by blotting firmly and carefully with paper towels.
- Pour one part water and one part white vinegar in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture onto the stained area generously, and let it almost dry.
- Cover the stained area with a thin layer of baking soda.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of liquid dish-washing detergent and ¼ cup of hydrogen peroxide into a small plastic bowl.
- Put rubber gloves on your hands, and rub the mixture into the carpet fibers using your fingers.
- Wait for the mixture to dry and then vacuum it up.
For unknown stains, carpet cleaning Holborn advises using cold water as hot one can set the stain into the carpet. For stubborn stains, increase the amount of vinegar in the solution, and make sure the solution to sit on the stain for at least an hour before removing it.